ITEC Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Course
The Level 4 Sports Massage Course teaches the practical and theoretical skills necessary to provide Sports Massage Therapy. It is suitable for Practitioners currently working in sport and Active Leisure. Training includes a range of basic and advanced sports massage techniques. Practitioners will also learn how to plan and evaluate Sports Massage treatments for the provision of future treatments.
Sports Massage Level 4 Course Outline
The course will cover the ITEC Sports Massage (Level 4 QCF) syllabus in formal lectures, practicals and class demonstrations, as well as home assignments.
Topics covered in this combined ITEC Sports Massage course include:
ITEC Sports Therapy (Level 4)
- Regional Anatomy – study of constituent parts of a given body region.
- Applied Anatomy – study of how the body parts function. individually and in relation to other body regions.
- Origin, Insertion and Action of over 50 muscles.
- Injuries – study of specific injuries to muscles, tendons, ligaments, bursa and bone.
- Posture evaluation – how and what to observe for postural evaluation.
- Regional Anatomy & Assessment.
- Orthopaedic Testing & Injury Assessment.
- The effect and application of Thermo (heat) & Cryotherapy (cold).
- Treatment of acute & chronic injuries, including techniques such as:
- Effective Deep Tissue Massage Techniques.
- Neuro Muscular Technique (NMT).
- Trigger Points.
- Muscle Energy Technique (MET).
- Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF).
- Soft Tissue Release Technique (STR).
- Connective Tissue Massage (CTM).
- Passive articulation of major joints (excl. spine).
- A look at different types of exercises and stretching routines.
- Sports Rehabilitation of the injured individual.
Level 4 Sports Massage Course Objectives
After successfully completing the sports massage course, you will be able to:
- Assess posture and understand common patterns of dysfunction.
- Look at common syndromes and muscular imbalances.
- Understand, as well as treat, common sports conditions using sports massage and a borad set of advanced skills.
- Devise a specific treatment plan to suit individual clients.
- Prepare body tissues for a sporting event using sports massage.
- Use sports massage techniques to assist an athlete following an activity.
- Maintain body tissues in a healthy state in between sporting activities.
- Advise on self-help and self-recovery through exercises and home instructions.
Prerequisites & Who is this course for?
The ITEC Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy Level 3 is a prerequisite for students wishing to study Sports Massage Level 4.
The level of English required for overseas students is IELTS level 6-7 or equivalent.
The course will involve computer work and you will need access to a PC or laptop.
If you are unsure of your current course qualifications, please call us.
Level 4 Sports Massage Exam Specification
- Completion of 5 x Case Studies + 5 x Follow-ups.
- Completion of 20 x Additional Treatment Log.
- Completion of 1 x Guided Home Assignment.
- A practical examination lasting 1 hour.
- In class assessment and examinations
If you would like to join a sports association, you may be required to have a minimum of 6 months training from the start of the course BEFORE you sit the final exam.
Sports Massage Course
10 days *Exam fee not included.
Qualification: ITEC Diploma
This course can be tailored to your requirements and run anywhere in the U.K.